I started my working life as a tradesman ( carpenter ), and then moved on to work in the creative fields like advertising, design, Web development and iOS App development. But I must admit I have never really left the tools. Whether it be building some furniture or fixing something around the house, or helping out a mate with some project on their place, my tools have never been too far away.
Now, 2016 is the year I have come full circle. Slowly leaving Web Development to concentrate full time on making custom handmade furniture from reclaimed timber. I still plan on doing occasional iOS App Development, especially RFS Buddy, which is a tool for Rural Fighters to use on the fireground.
I started this site a few years ago to share simple tips and to help anyone who wanted to have a go at some DIY projects around their home. The first post I wrote back in March 2008 was about the Guinea Pig Cage I had built for my 2 daughters, and it just kept on going from then on.
My Online Woodwork Store – RoaR Timberworks
I have an online store selling Timber Furniture and Home Decor products.
Combining my Trade and my Online Experience
If you are interested in having your own DIY blog like this one, I have written an article with simple step-by-step and affordable instructions to get you started – How to Start your own DIY blog
Here are a few (kind of) interesting things about me:
- I am a carpenter by trade.
- I have been self-employed since 1990.
- You’ll find my name in the credits of Disney’s “An Extremely Goofy Movie” and Scholastic Entertainment’s “Clifford’s Really Big Movie“
- I worked at Disney Australia and also co-founded an animation studio.
- I’m an experienced website designer, and specialize in the WordPress platform.
- Am a Certified member of the Apple Consultants Network.
- I like Tim Burton and Dr Seuss, so I combined both their styles and wrote and created a Rhyming Illustrated iBook called “A Little Bit of Darkness“.